Saturday, July 11, 2015

Reflection

Where should I look for my reflection, 
Instagram, Twitter or Facebook? 
Should I look at my camera roll 
The books I read 
My email subscriptions 
Or my desktop wallpaper?
Should I see it in the choices I made
My job, my marriage?
Or the accidents that happened in life 
My friends, my old lovers, my roommates 
Should I see it in my salary slip 
Or in the food I order
My choice of poison 
My brand of cigarettes
The color of my nail paint 
The tv shows I watch 
Where is my true reflection?
Certainly not in the mirror 
Tainted by conventional wisdom 
Should I go stand by a river 
And stare in silence 
Ponder in peace 
About my existence? 
Is my identity only my marriage 
Or do I deserve my own story 
Can I not have a dichotomy
Or should I pretend it doesn't exist 
How do I stop a storm in my brain 
Pretend I am completely sane 
Do I bury my desires in the name of morality 
Or do I take every chance in my one life to live 
I chased your shadow when I was with you 
I chased it when I was single
I can't stop chasing it until
The shadow breaks its silence 
Is it a mind trick to stop thinking 
Or to make the heart stop beating
Kundera said life is light 
I don't want to let go 
Some dead ends can lead to a golden stream 
If we have the courage to dream 
And break down the red brick wall 
That stands so stubborn and tall
I tried fighting those questions
That's what I see in my reflections 
Questions, so many questions.

No comments:

here and now

here and now